This website is the home of my blog “The Power of Paperwork”.
The purpose of the blog is demystify accounting rules. My focus is small businesses and nonprofit groups lacking a staff accountant. I will also add sections for people working as freelancers or consultants.
– Demystifying the language & rules of accounting.
– Empower people & small organizations to feel ownership over their own financial life.
– How creating basic bookkeeping systems can free you to focus on your real work.
– How having up to date and accurate accounting information can empower you to make better financial decisions.
– Introduction to basic accounting terms in plain English.
– How to organize your paperwork according to accounting “best practices”.
I will begin the journey of writing all this down using a blog format. Initially I will write entries on different topics as inspiration strikes. Eventually I will go back to fill in the holes and provide more comprehensive coverage.
Also, please be aware this is a work in progress. Entries will be updated after they are posted, usually more than once. Please do not assume any entry is “finished” at this point in time.
A special shout out to Stephen Switzer of A Bookkeeping Cooperative in NYC for coming up with the name for this blog. Also many thanks for his encouragement for the project.
Also thanks to Alex Fischer of Open Bookkeeping in Vermont for their encouragement. I will also be using their great visual presentation method of how the four financial statements flow together when I finally write that section.